As the Cheddar is drying, it starts to develop a bit of a rind, but inevitably some little bits of mould form. From what I've read this is perfectly normal and likely due to poor air circulation during the drying phase. I noticed these little bits this morning when I was about ready to coat the cheese for aging.
You can't coat it with mould on the cheese, but there is a simple way to remove it that is perfectly safe: 1/2 cup distilled water + 1 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp white vinegar. Soak a little piece of cheesecloth in the solution and rub the mold off, then pat dry.
Works like a charm! No more little fun guys all over my Cheddar! :) I had to let it dry a little longer though so that I could safely coat it. I dry the cheese in the oven so its cat-proof, in a container with the lid slightly open. This time I left the oven door slightly open and I put on the oven hood fan on low and it worked really well for the air circulation. The cheese was all dry in 4 hours and ready for coating.
This is the first of three coats and I have to let this dry until tonight, then I'll flip it over and coat the bottom and leave that overnight. I want to make sure the coating is really solid and dry this time around so I don't have any sticky coated cheese in my cheese cave while it ages!